Instructions: Show Your Creative PollEv Use

Welcome to the Creator Room!

What is it?
This is the Creator Room, a community for creative presenters and educators who use Poll Everywhere. It’s the spot to show other PollEv wizards the most interesting uses you’ve invented for Poll Everywhere Surveys, Word Clouds, Ranking Polls, Q&A, and Clickable Images.

What should I post?
Post a story about a time when you used polling creatively. It could be a great meeting icebreaker with a word cloud, or an entire lesson plan for a calculus class. Tell us what you wanted to accomplish with your survey or poll. Then let others know how you pulled it off. Include a screenshot or an action photo in your post.

Be a great community member
Make sure to like and comment on the use cases you love, and let the original post writer know if you end up using their polling idea. That’s always the fun part.

We’ve got some examples of two lecturers in the School of Health Sciences at City, University of London discussing their creative use of Poll Everywhere in the teaching of Radiography and Speech and Language Therapy.

I’ve also personally used the Ranking Question type in some of my small workshops on topics such as Large and Small Group Teaching and a colleague and I have used Poll Everywhere in a session we ran for a module on the MA in Academic Practice on Supporting Students and Personal Tutoring with Technology. Not sure who you’d give the ‘coffee’ too, maybe a sip each?!

I think you get all the coffee for being the proactive sharer. :slight_smile: The first, in fact! Thanks for being the pioneer. I’ll message you details. Also do you happen to be acquainted with Prof. Vikas Shah? He’s tweeted before about teaching radiography with clickable image polls.

A good example at the University of Westminster, where a Neuroscience lecturer uses it with her students.

All free coffees should go to the lecturer, the students and my colleague who gives Poll Everywhere training and filmed the video!

In that case, I shall send the coffee power to you, so you can distribute it judiciously. :slight_smile:

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks, well we do have the department name LEaD, Learning Enhancement and Development and hashtag #taketheLEaD, so we’re LEaDing by example here ;), sorry too many puns! Oh no, I haven’t but our radiography lecturer wants to do some research into effectiveness of PollEv in her cohort. Which University is Prof Shah from?

Thanks,

Santanu

Thank you for the coffee power :slight_smile:

Don’t let it corrupt you.

I believe Dr. Shah is at University Hospitals of Leicester, but he seems to travel. Here’s a link to his Twitter. He has such interesting uses!

I know, I know. With great power…

Thank you for sharing my tweet about my use of Poll Ev! @santanuvasant - I am a Consultant Radiologist using it for teaching medical students, junior doctors and radiology trainees. I’ll post some images with my use cases…after all, it is well known that in a hospital, radiologists consume the most coffee :wink:

@santanuvasant I’d be more than happy in the research into the effectiveness - let me know if you want my contact details.

I have been using Poll Everywhere for a few months in my radiology teaching. I teach medical students, junior doctors, allied health professionals such as radiographers, and radiology trainees. The audiences I teach are usually in groups of between 25 and 100, and are reluctant to shout out answers. Mobile phone and tablet ownership and usage is univeeal amongst my audience too. Therefore using Poll Everywhere seemed a natural fit.

I use all the subtypes of polls. I use two projector screens, with my PowerPoint running on one, and the poll showing on the second screen. This is so that they can see the image I am asking about on one screen, take the poll on their device, and see the answers on the second big screen.

I put up an image and ask them a multiple choice question on what the diagnosis is. I put up an image and ask them to enter the diagnosis as free text, displayed as a word cloud or ticker. The most powerful use is of the clickable image. I put up an image and ask them to click where they think an abnormality is.

I find that there is universal engagement in the quizzes, and it creates a real buzz amongst the students. The first time that I activate a poll, the look on their faces when their screen shows the poll is priceless. But then when they see the word cloud forming or the bars in the bar charts moving, it is truly amazing.

I recently did a teaching day in Sydney and used Poll Everywhere in my finale, and the feedback was quite revealing in just how engaged people feel when they can use this type of technology.

I would love it if I could show the image and the poll results on the same screen, and that would mean I could use just a single slideshow with the polls embedded. At the moment, I don’t think that’s possible, and to answer the questions they need to see the image so I have 2 screens.

As a new user I can only post 1 image so I have created a collage with my most common use cases.

Thanks so much for posting this, Dr. Shah!

Thanks Vikas, I’d like your contact details, so I can put you in touch with our Senior Lecturer in Radiography who’s doing work with Poll Everywhere and it’s perceived impact on Students learning of Radiography principles. Many thanks!

Thanks Vikas, I’ll pass onto our Lecturer.

I teach environmental studies at the University of Washington. In one of the lectures, we talked about marine plastic pollution. I asked my students to go to http://adrift.org.au/ website to drop some rubber ducks in the ocean. Then see where the debris will accumulated in 10 years. I asked my students to click on a map using Poll Everywhere to show where their debris accumulate.

This is the result of the polling from a class of 190 students. (Students using text phone couldn’t do this with clickable image). I think this is a great exercise to show students that marine debris go every where in the ocean, they don’t just stay in where they were dropped.
(Note: This was a guest lecture by Dr. Rick Keil, but I helped him set up the PE slides.)

In the same class, I began with asking students what are the common uses of plastics. They generated this word cloud:

It is a nice warm up activity to introduce the topic of the day. (Note: This was a guest lecture by Dr. Rick Keil, but I helped him set up the PE slides.)

I use pollev regularly in class, so to mix it up from time to time, I segment the responses. Here’s one example. Students report where they are sitting in the room and then we proceed with the polls (this class we had 10 total) so we keep score when a section “wins” by having the highest percentage correct. At the end of the class we tally the wins and declare an overall winner. This one always generates at least a few high-fives and brings out the competitive side for students!